Tax Updates

Monday, October 9, 2017, 15:57



All taxpayers must provide photo identification to add to their documentation. This can be a driver's license or a state ID card. 


Taxpayers are required to provide proof of health insurance coverage for themselves and any dependents claimed on their tax return.

Marketplace Insurance - Form 1095-A will be required

Independent or Employer Insurance - Form 1095-B or 1095-C may be sent to you. If not, you may provide proof through an insurance card or W-2 form.


The following credits now require documentation that the dependents you are claiming are legally yours to claim. Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and American Opportunity Tax Credit.

Please bring at least 2 of the following documents with your address on it:

School records or report card
Landlord or property management statement that shows your children live with you
Health care provider statement, such as a doctor or a dentist
Medical records
Child care provider records
Social services/Placement agency statement
Place of worship statement
Employer statement
 In addition, you will need documentation to show the dependents you claim actually lived with you. If the dependent is not your son or daughter, please bring a copy of the birth or marriage certificate showing relationship.

 If your child is disabled, please bring one of the following:

Medical records proving the disability
Health care provider statement
Social service statement
Copy of 1099-SSA (if the child receives social security benefits)


This status now requires documentation to show that you provided primary care for the dependents in your household.

Please bring at least 2 of the following documents with your address on it:

Rent receipts
Utility bills
Grocery receipts
Property tax bills
Mortgage interest statement
Repair bills for the home
Property insurance statement
In addition to these documents, please bring at least 2 of the items from the “Earned Income Credit Documents” heading to prove your legal right to claim the dependents.


Taxpayers with self-employment income are required to have proper documentation of these activities.

Please bring at least 2 of the following items:

Your business license
Forms 1099-MISC
Record of gross income and expenses
Your summary of income and expenses
Bank statements for your business
A profit and loss statement from your computer software package (Examples: Quicken, Quickbooks, etc)

Copyright ©2020 RODGERS TAX SERVICE, All Rights Reserved.